What is Good Mileage on a Used Car?
Mileage is an important consideration when shopping for a used car, but there are other factors just as, if not more, important. It was commonly believed that if a vehicle had been driven over 100,000 miles you were taking a big risk buying it. However, now it’s clear that the condition, maintenance and repair history, location, and usage play a larger role in determining whether a used vehicle is a good buy or not.
Shopping for a used vehicle? – You should take the following factors into consideration in addition to mileage:
- Usage – A vehicle driven 75,000 miles in stop and go traffic suffers more wear and tear than a vehicle that has racked up 75,000 miles of highway driving. It’s important to find out about the previous owner’s driving history before you buy.
- Location – Vehicles that have been driven in a dry, warm climate undergo less strain than a car that has been driven in a cold, wet climate.
- Condition – In addition to inspecting the vehicle and test driving it yourself, you should have a certified mechanic give it the once-over to determine if there are any upcoming repair issues like rust or engine problems. If there are, you need to figure this amount into your budget.
- Maintenance History – check the vehicle history report to confirm that the car has been kept up to date on oil changes and routine maintenance. A car that hasn’t been well maintained could give you problems down the road.
Mileage vs. Age
A newer car with high mileage isn’t always a better value than an older car with lower mileage. In fact, low mileage vehicles often come with a higher price tag. You need to step back and take other factors into account.
- Has the car been driven regularly? – A vehicle that hasn’t been driven on a regular basis regularly can have higher repair costs. Not driving a car can cause drivetrain issues or cracking in rubber seals.
- Has the car been well-maintained? – A car with a well-documented maintenance history is a better choice than one that hasn’t been taken care of.
A certified pre-owned model may be a better choice for Jackson area drivers who’d like the best of both worlds. Hyundai certified pre-owned vehicles are like-new, with low-mileage, and come with a number of exclusive benefits such as warranty coverage.
Here at Wilson Hyundai, we take great care in selecting only gently used, high quality vehicles to add to our used inventory. We also keep our prices the most competitive in the area, and have a terrific selection of used vehicles under $9,999.